Friday, December 13, 2013

Lesson Learned: Keep Your Novel Close

Photo by me.

In anticipation of the end of the year, I'm doing a series of posts regarding the things I've learned this year. Some of them relate to writing, some of them are general life lessons.

Around the time that I moved to the woods, I began working on a new novel. It was different than anything I've ever written before, and I was (and am) very excited about it.

I wanted to tell everyone that I was writing a novel, because I was so excited about it.

But I ran into a problem. Every time I told someone that I was writing a novel, they asked "What's it about?"

I couldn't tell them. It wasn't that I didn't know, it was that I didn't want to. In the past when I'd talked about my novel ideas before I had a complete draft in hand, the magic began to fade each time I told a new person, until eventually I stopped working on it altogether. I didn't want that to happen this time. 

Even though I'm not finished with it yet, I can say that the magic is still there, even though I'm in the dreaded middle section. It may take me a few more months before I'm ready to tell anyone what the novel's about, but I'm okay with that as long as I can keep that magic a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment