Thursday, December 26, 2013

Creative Cross Training: Photography

photo by me

It's so important for writers to experiment with other creative outlets so that their writing does not get stale. You want your writing to be fresh and interesting, right? The best way to do that is to step away from it periodically and try something new. Let's call it creative cross-training.
 
The old cliche is "A picture is worth a thousand words." It's a cliche for a reason: a well taken photo can tell you a lot about either the subject matter or the photographer.

A candid photo of a couple can tell you how healthy their relationship is. Are they sitting next to each other holding hands, or is there room for another person between them?

A professionally shot family photo can say a lot about the type of people that are in that family. Are they wearing color coded outfits, or is it just a good thing they all managed to show up?

At first glance a picture of a landscape might look simple, but upon further inspection you might see a rare bird on a branch that the photographer managed to capture on film before it flew away.

I've recently become much more interested in photography, and I've been having fun experimenting with different subjects and lighting environments. Most of the pictures I take are of landscapes or nature scenes but I find it fun to imagine the story that takes place within those scenes. 

Asking myself "What thousand words best describe this photo?" is a great little exercise to get my creative juices flowing so that I can begin my writing day. Maybe the photo has nothing to do with the writing that I'm trying to get accomplished that day, but just thinking and writing about it will get me started and keep my ideas fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment