Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Book 18: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent is a novelized version of Dinah's story from the Book of Genesis in the Bible. It begins with the story of her four mothers and then goes on to tell the story of her life. Dinah's life is unfortunate and dominated by violence. This was no secret, I knew going into the book the sort of story I would be reading.

What I didn't expect, however, was to be more drawn to the story of Dinah's mother than her own. In the beginning, as I read about the four sisters, the book held my attention and I wanted to continue reading. Once the focus shifted to Dinah's adolescence and the unfortunate circumstances surrounding her marriage, my interest began to wane and I found it more difficult to pick up the book.

I will say that the book is successful in that it allows the reader to imagine the lives of Biblical women in new ways. It adds more depth to the story and makes the reader contemplate what life was like in those days.

However, this is not the type of book I generally reach for and since I did find it difficult to make it to the end I will likely not pick it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment