Monday, November 25, 2013

Book 17: Iron House by John Hart

Iron House is about two brothers who grew up in an orphanage and become separated when one of them commits a murder.  Twenty years later, they have to return to that place. One of the brothers (who the story mostly revolves around) is conflicted because he is trying to protect both his pregnant girlfriend and his brother, but the nature of the story is that one is always in danger while he is trying to rescue the other.

As a matter of personal taste, this is not the kind of book I would normally pick up. A family member gave it to me and I decided to give it a try anyway. Having just finished reading Freedom, the writing just wasn't up to the standard I was looking for. I went from some seriously intense, beautiful language that kept my attention even on off-putting topics, to a clunky murder not-quite-mystery story with a predictable ending and dull language.

I don't like to write negative reviews, so I'm going to keep this short. Basically, I didn't love this book because it's not the type of thing I usually seek out. I'm not a murder mystery reader, but when I pick one up I don't want to know the ending by the third chapter. If I'm going to read a suspense thriller, I want to be kept on the edge of my seat. 

If you're like me, and want strong writing and interesting characters in your novels, regardless of genre, you probably won't like this book very much. However, if you like thrillers you may like this book, or another by this author (he's won a handful of Edgar Awards, so maybe this was just not the best place for me to start with his work).

Have you read this book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment