Friday, November 29, 2013

A Gentle Reminder On Black Friday

I've mentioned before that I work in clothing retail as my day job. Most of the year, this is not a terrible job, although I wish (as most people do) that I got paid more. There is one day out of the year though that makes everyone in this industry cringe: Black Friday.

You've heard the horror stories of the Walmart employee who was trampled to death, and of the customer who used pepper spray on other shoppers.

Thankfully, I don't work in a discount department store, so I haven't seen craziness like that in my Black Friday experiences. But these instances are far too common, and I think it really detracts from the spirit of the season.

Black Friday shopping is not the Hunger Games. Everyone can leave the store happy at the end of the day. Let's all try to be compassionate and kind to our fellow shoppers and to the men and women who have devoted their holiday weekend to providing you excellent customer service.

Thanksgiving is the start of a season all about compassion and love, so let's try to remember that as we begin our holiday shopping. Be kind to one another and you will have a much more pleasant experience over all. That's not just true on Black Friday, but on everyday of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment