Friday, August 9, 2013

Book 12: Dreams From my Father by Barack Obama

It took me about 2 months to read Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, mostly because I got distracted & began to read other things around the time when I reached the halfway point.

The book lost my interest during the lengthy description of Obama's time as a community organizer in Chicago. I admired his drive & passion for the issues he was fighting for, but reading about the specifics didn't do it for me.

Once I was able to get back into it, I was able to finish reading it rather quickly. Overall, the writing was very good & I enjoyed the story of his early life. I liked this book because it wasn't overly political, it focused more on family and Obama's personal history, which I found quite interesting.

Regardless of your politics, it is an important book to read because there is a lot to learn from any President, especially one who has overcome historic hurdles in order to get there. It's an exciting glimpse into history, written before anyone knew what was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment