Monday, May 6, 2013

Book 11: The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

I have been meaning to read The Tiger's Wife for a while now. It's received a lot of attention since it was first published, and I wanted to know what it was all about. I checked out the audiobook from the library about three weeks ago and immediately began listening to it in my car.

I was drawn in right away by the whole story of Natalia and her grandfather, but it really started to get good when I got to the part about the deathless man. I loved the interplay of the folklore and the way that the different stories helped Natalia understand her grandfather.

I will say that the story is a bit hard to follow at times because there is no defined setting or time period. Parts of the story transcend these elements as folklore is known to do, but the moments that are grounded in Natalia's here and now could be more clearly defined. 

This is a book you have to experience for yourself. On the one hand, many people have praised it for the fantastic and folkloric elements that define the stories of the tiger's wife and the deathless man. On the other hand, just as many people have complained that it is hard to nail down and follow because there really is no linear structure to the book.

Personally I enjoyed it, but I was left feeling a bit confused when I finished it. Nothing that a re-read wouldn't clarify, but some people may not enjoy that sense of confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment