Monday, April 15, 2013

Book 9: Coco Chanel An Intimate Life by Lisa Chaney

It took me about 2 months to read Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life. I had expected it to be a fairly interesting book, based on the back flap and what little I already knew about Coco Chanel.

Sadly, it didn't really live up to my expectations. There is a lot that we don't know about Chanel's early life, and so there are a lot of areas in the book that are glossed over. Beyond that, the writing is fairly dry and not very interesting to read.

Ordinarily, I enjoy reading biographies as long as the subject matter is interesting. This one however was not written in a particularly fascinating style. Everything is presented in a very matter-of-fact way, and there is not much detail. If you enjoy this sort of objective reporting, you will probably enjoy this book, but I personally prefer a storytelling approach.

The woman herself was a truly interesting person, but this particular retelling of her life doesn't do her justice, in my opinion. She revolutionized the course of fashion in the 20th century, and I wish that this book was more of a celebration of her accomplishment than a dry retelling of fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment