Friday, January 11, 2013

Announcing the 100 Books Project!!

I have a crazy idea for a project I want to attempt this year. I'm going to read 100 books in 2013, and write reviews for you as I finish them.

Yeah, you read that right. 

I know it sounds crazy. And maybe it is, but I'd like to see how it goes. The purpose of this project is to read the books that I've said for years that I would read and never got around to. I want to figure out why I ignored these books for all this time. 

It's this weird phenomenon- all of the book lovers I know have these huge TBR (to be read) piles that they keep adding to and are only slowly subtracting from. Why do we buy these books if we can't make time to read them? I'm trying to figure this out, at least for myself, so that maybe I can break the cycle.

I think it's entirely possible if I plan it well, so I've set up a few rules for myself:

1. Unabridged Audiobooks and ebooks will count as part of my total. Why? Because a book is a book is a book. It's the same story, it takes the same level of imagination to follow the story and picture the scenes in your head. There are a lot of books that I've wanted to read but I only have so much space in my tiny apartment. The library has tons of free to borrow audiobooks/ebooks, so why not take advantage? Plus, audiobooks make sitting in traffic a much more pleasant experience.

2. I'll review the books whether I like them or not. Ordinarily, I only write reviews of books that I love because I think talking about a book is the best publicity you can give it. If you don't like a book why talk about it? For the purpose of the project I'll have to. 

3. I will read and review 2 books each week. Just writing that down sounds daunting. But it's not unheard of. When I was in college this was approximately the pace I was expected to keep up for a semester at a time. In 2009 I read 57 books, while keeping up that pace for about 6 months out of the entire year, so if I stick to the plan, I think I can do this.

4. I'm not taking outside recommendations. I'm reading only the books that are already on my TBR list. There's a good third of my bookshelf on that list. Any of the books I want to read but don't own a copy of, I will attempt to find as an audio book at my local library, and I will make a note of these books in my review. No one is paying me to read these books, this project is simply for my own enjoyment, so I will be the one deciding what to read and when.

So, that's the project. Those are the parameters so far. I'll be posting my first review shortly, as I've already read my first two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment