Monday, October 22, 2012

Quiet Down, Monkey Mind!

Focus
photo by toolstop on flickr

I know things have been quiet here lately. If you're wondering where I've been, I'll tell you the truth -- I've been having a tough time creatively.

I've written in the past about the importance of focus for writers and artists, but sometimes the ideas come so fast it's hard to keep up with them.

I know what you're thinking, "How can you complain about having too many ideas?" I'm not trying to brag or make myself sound brilliant. This is seriously a problem. I sit down to write one thing and ideas for other things keep popping into my head and if I stop to write a note to myself so I can work on the other things later, I often have trouble going back to focusing on the first thing. The only way I can think to describe what I've been dealing with is monkey mind.

At times like this, I feel like I'll never get anything accomplished because I can't sit with one project long enough to finish it. You simply can't publish unfinished work. So, here I am, sitting at my keyboard, trying desperately to calm my thoughts and focus on one thing at a time.

I hope that you, dear readers, are having more luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment