Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Find Your Freedom

define avı - treasure hunt
photo by happy jumper on flickr


Do you mumble uncomfortably when someone asks you what you do?

Is it hard to admit to people you barely know that you like to tell stories and make things up?

I used to be like you. I used to be terrified to tell people about my writing. I worried that I would be judged, or people would think I had my head in the clouds. (To be fair, when I'm in writing mode, I often do have my head in the clouds, but that's a different story.)

Sometime between graduating from college and not being able to find a "real job" I started asking myself why I was so afraid to tell people what I wanted to do. I landed a day job and allowed myself to tell my coworkers about my writing. They didn't laugh.

Most of them are between college and where they want to be too, so funny thing is, they got it. They said okay, so you're a writer, let us read something. And suddenly I felt so free to create. I could write whatever I wanted because I was - I am - a writer.

Before, I was shy about it. Even when I went to critique groups, I'd only let others read my work after heavy revisions. I didn't want anyone to see first or even second drafts. That's (mostly) all over now.

The very act of admitting to people that I'm a writer has freed me to show my work, and to create many new and exciting things. Just because I haven't been published yet doesn't mean I have to say, "I'm going to be a writer someday." The act of writing is what makes you a writer, and being published is the icing on the cake.

Try it. Say it out loud, so someone, anyone can hear you. Say "I am a writer," then sit down and get to work. You'll be amazed at what you can produce.


No comments:

Post a Comment