Monday, June 18, 2012

What I'm Reading Now

At the moment, I'm reading a lovely memoir called The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. It's about the year she spent studying French cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris. 

I adore this book.

I think the main reason is because I've been obsessed with France for a long time. I spent most of my teen years dreaming of the day when I'd finally get to visit the Eiffel Tower and tour the Palace of Versailles. I eventually did get to go, but as an seventeen year-old on a school trip there's only so much exploring you can do. I got to see the sites, but I know there are a lot of things I missed. Basically, I've wanted to go back ever since I came home.

(This is one of my favorite photos from the trip.)

So, reading this book, I can't help but start dreaming again. The story is well told and the places are familiar - some I've been to and some I've been reading about my entire life. As I'm reading I can't help but be bitten by the travel bug. I'm dying to go back to Paris. 

You might be thinking, "okay, but this book isn't really about traveling." No, it's about cooking, you're right. Personally, I'm not a very talented chef. I can make appetizing meals, and I have a few things I specialize in, but cooking was never a passion of mine. It's not something I like to spend a lot of time getting good at. So the recipes printed in this book and the stories from her actual cooking classes? They're not what's getting me to turn the pages. That's not to say they're not interesting. Some one who actively wants to learn about cooking would probably be fascinated by the demonstrations and the recipes.

The memoir is a nice balance between cookbook/tales from the kitchen and a travelogue. It's smart, captivating and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment