Monday, June 4, 2012

Try Something New


Leap of Faith
(Photo Credit: ClickFlashPhotos via Creative Commons)
 
It's easy to fall into routines. 

You do something the same way often enough and suddenly that feels like the most natural way to do it. The thought of changing the routine or trying a new method seems crazy. 

Why change things up when the current routine is working?

Well, if it's working, you probably don't need to change anything. However, if you feel bored or frustrated with your routine, then it's a good time to switch things up.

For example, nearly everyday I eat dinner, do the dishes, tool around on the internet or some other mindless activity for a few hours, and then watch a half hour to an hour of tv before bed. But I've started to be bored with this routine. I've started to feel tired when I shouldn't and generally sluggish. 

The solution I've come up with is to go for a walk around my neighborhood either before or after dinner. The exercise and fresh air have made me feel more energized and getting out of the apartment for a bit each day adds some interest to my evenings. It's not a huge change, but it's enough.

Having a daily routine can be great, but sometimes it's worth breaking things up and changing it a bit. I started small by adding a walk into my routine. I've also made a list of new things I'd like to do this summer. These are things I wouldn't normally do in my everyday life but have always been of interest to me. 

Trying new things can give us a sense of accomplishment because even if we turn out to not like the activity or food or whatever it is, we'll still have overcome that bit of resistance that is newness.

If you feel stuck in your routine then I invite you to try something new with me. Big or small. It could be as simple as finally eating kale or as difficult as getting a pilot's license. 

Whatever you have on your list, share it with us in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment