Monday, June 11, 2012

Re-Reading a Favorite Book

Over the weekend, I started re-reading a favorite book of mine, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.



I'm taking my time with the novel this time around. I want to be able to enjoy the story, but to also learn from the techniques Marquez uses so that I can become a better storyteller.

There's one line that struck me as I began to read (lesson one: engage your readers by putting compelling ideas on the first page). The line is: "'Things have a life of their own,' the gypsy proclaimed with a harsh accent. 'It's simply a matter of waking up their souls.'" This is in reference to the magnets that he is trying to sell to our MC. 

I just find that line so tellingly beautiful. It can be taken anyway you please, but think for a second in terms of storytelling. Things, (read characters) have a life of their own. We as writers can be responsible for waking up their souls (read telling their stories). 

Next time you find yourself stuck in your writing, try to think of yourself as someone who wakes up souls instead of someone who is struggling to tell a story. Allow yourself to use mental magnets to draw these characters from their hiding places and onto the page where they belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment