Monday, June 25, 2012

The Answer to Almost Every Problem

Books
(Photo Credit: Mayan Brenn on Creative Commons)

What do you usually do when you're faced with a task that you don't now how to complete?

I've found that I can figure out how to do just about anything that needs to be done by using one simple skill: reading.

I read directions for electronic devices that I'm not familiar with. I read books about topics that I need to understand. I read warning labels, street signs, websites and anything else that can tell me what I need to know.

Just this week, a friend of mine approached me about helping her design a website for her small business. I've done a bit of web design in the past, but I worried I was a bit rusty. After talking with her about what she needed, I began to read everything I could about HTML and web design. Now, in a short amount of time, I've been able to create a simple webpage with relatively little difficulty. It's no where near finished, but it's a solid foundation. 

This is pretty much what I do whenever I have a task or problem that I can't immediately solve on my own. Most of the time I'm able to find the information that I need quickly enough and it also gives me a sense of accomplishment once I've figured out a solution. 

Next time you're faced with a problem, try doing some basic reading on the topic at hand and see if you can't solve it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment