Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Stop Trying to Be Perfect!

imperfect, complex
Photo credit: Nosha on Flickr

I know I'm not alone in this: I spend a lot of time thinking about how I want a project to turn out, so much so that I often end up procrastinating starting the project for fear of it not living up to my expectations. That's right. Sometimes I put off starting a project because I don't think that it will be perfect when I'm done.

Do you see the problem with that?

We cannot do this to ourselves anymore. How many people out there have let perfectionism stand in the way of completion? Wouldn't you rather have a complete, physical manuscript with a few mistakes that you can hold in your hands than a completely perfect manuscript that exists only inside your head? Your work doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be done. 

You have to take a few steps forward every now and again otherwise you'll never get to your goal. Think about it. The more you practice writing (or anything) the better you get at it. The better you get, the closer you can come to that perfect manuscript or short story or poem or whatever. 

If you're like me, there will always be things you wish you could fix or improve, but working on these things is the only way to get better. Don't let 'perfect' get in the way of 'good enough.'

No comments:

Post a Comment