Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Write Your Way to Happiness


For the last few weeks, Friday has been my only day off from my day job. For several weeks in a row now, I've had to schedule meetings and run errands on those days, meaning that my days off were just as (if not more so) stressful as the days when I had to go to work.

Last week, I was able to get my errands out of the way earlier in the week, and only had one quick meeting in the morning on Friday. This left me with an entire day to myself; a day to do whatever I wanted on my own schedule. I took out a notebook and got to work.

Before I knew it, I was digging through my books and re-reading old journals trying to find that one note I'd written myself three years ago. It seems only fitting that my new Kindle arrived in the middle of the day on Friday as well.

You might be wondering how much writing I got done. In terms of actual sentences and paragraphs, not a whole lot. What I did instead was create a timeline for my WIP. It takes place over nearly 100 years, so I had to get my years straight. I spent almost two hours working on this timeline, and another hour or so gathering all of the notes I had written about this piece.

It was an incredibly productive day overall, even if from the outside it might not appear that way. The fact is, focusing so closely on my writing made the day fly by. I barely noticed the time passing, and I felt relaxed and happy at the end of the day. It wasn't like all of my other 'days off' where I was rushing around town trying to get things done, and stressing out about not having enough time. I was able to sit and work at my own pace and accomplish only the things that I wanted to accomplish while not worrying about anything else.

This is why I do this. It's what I love. No, not everyday is going to be easy and full of sunshine and roses, but even on my least productive days, I'm still more likely to feel good if I've written even one word. It's the days when I haven't touched my WIP that make me feel horrible.

Go ahead. Get started. Write down two sentences. It doesn't matter if they're good or bad, just get them out of your head and onto the screen (paper, whatever). Just write a few sentences a day and see how much better you feel each time. Soon you'll have a whole page. Then a chapter. And so on.

You'll be amazed at how much happier you feel with each word.



Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

No comments:

Post a Comment