Monday, March 12, 2012

Do You Use Your Local Library?

Do you use your local library?

One of the first things I did after I moved back in January was go down to the library and get a card so that I could check out books whenever I wanted. It was (to me) a crucial step toward becoming established in my new town. 

I've always loved going to the library because they had all the books that I could possibly want -- for free! I know, as an aspiring author shouldn't I be encouraging readers to buy buy buy? Not always. Of course you should buy your favorite books, but you have to use the libraries too.

I know someone who says she doesn't use the library because  she reads too slowly and never finishes the book before it's due. That's crazy though, because there are so many other things to do at the library. Checking out books is only the tip of the iceberg.

  • If you can't afford internet access to your home, you can go to the library (with a free card) and check your email. 
  • If you want to visit your local museum, but can't afford the cost of admission, you can get a museum pass from most libraries. 
  • The library in my hometown recently started offering free audiobook & music downloads as well as online language courses. 
  • Many libraries are now also offering ebook lending on Kindle and Nook. 

Not to mention author visits, book clubs, community gathering spaces, movie screenings...The list of benefits go on and on. 

So tell me: If you don't use your library, what are waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment