Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finally Making Some Progress

You may have noticed that I've slowed down my posting schedule a bit this month. There are two reasons for this:
  1. I started a new job. It's only part-time and it is also in retail which means that even as I've been learning the ins & outs of the new job, I've also been taking interviews for other full time jobs which more closely align with what I want to do. 
  2. With limited time to write, I've felt that my focus (& time) would be better spent on my novel, as I have been trying to finish it & get it ready to send out for several months now. 
So, how am I doing? It's been slow progress. I had written the manuscript into a corner some time ago. I realized that the plot as it was had too many twists and was more confusing than the original story I had wanted to tell. I didn't know where I wanted to go with it and I had no time to think about it. 

In late January, I printed out the last 3 chapters that I had written and read them over carefully. I realized that the reason I had stopped writing when I had was because I had come to the end of the story. The problem was that I was the only one who could see it in the convoluted mess I had in front of me. 

So, I went back to my computer, opened a new word document, and started over from Chapter 13. After some great progress over the last few days, I'm close to finishing Chapter 14 and I feel great. The story makes sense, it's not quite so messy and it's just about ready to see the light of day. 

Once I finish up this draft, I'll be back to posting at my normal pace of 3 times each week. In the meantime, I've got to stay focused. See how much you can accomplish if you focus on one thing at a time?

No comments:

Post a Comment