Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

My sister first recommended this book to me back in March. I hadn't heard much about it, but she really sung its praises so I went ahead and bought a copy to put in my to-be-read pile. Around mid-December I finally managed to find time to read it and immediately regretted waiting that long.

The story is told from the point of view of a 5 year old boy, Jack, who was born into captivity (his mother was kidnapped and raped repeatedly while being kept in a secured garden shed). His mother has tried to make their life in Room as normal as possible for Jack but the obvious limitations become more evident each day. Jack believes that simple things like going to the store are "only in tv" and that everything outside of the Room is outer space.

Jack doesn't quite understand why his mother would want to leave Room, but he agrees to participate in her escape plan and that's when the story really takes off. Reading the story as Jack tells it makes the reader more acutely aware of the tragedy of the situation because we can see the world through his eyes.

This book will tear at your heartstrings but it is not all sad. It has an uplifting ending. Rather than focusing on the horrible man that captured Jack's mother, it focuses on Jack as he grows up and begins to understand the world.

I would highly recommend this book. I loved reading it and I think you will too.


No comments:

Post a Comment