Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reading List 2011 Part 4

As promised in an earlier post, every Wednesday in December I'm going to be posting a list of the books that I read in 2011 with a quick summary of what I thought of them. Numbers 31 through 40 are below.
 
Evenfall by Liz Michalski I was completely captivated by this book from beginning to end. It was a memorable story and fun to read.

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan This is a book that got passed around through my family as soon as my mom bought it. She and all of my sisters have loved it so far; it's definitely a book worth sharing and talking about. Read my full review here.

On Beauty by Zadie Smith The characters in this novel are so true to life, reading it feels like checking in with old friends. 

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks There were a lot of things about this book that felt strange or unrealistic to me, but the ending was far more creepy than romantic in my opinion.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern I cannot say enough good things about this book. It was so delightful and different from everything else I've read this year. Read my full review here.

Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez This is great advice for anyone who needs help managing their personal finances. It's a great resource for anyone looking to get out of debt and start saving money.

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides Excellent. Read my full review here.

Moments of Being by Virginia Woolf I find Woolf's life and work fairly interesting, but there are a fair number of repetitive parts of this book as it's not supposed to be read cover to cover. I read it over the course of a few months and found much more meaning in it this time than I did when I originally read it in college.

Room by Emma Donoghue This is how you write a novel. The child narrator is effective without being overdone and the story is at once simple and powerful.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins I just received this one for Christmas, so I'm only part way through it. So far the story is engaging and entertaining so I have a feeling I'll finish it before the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment