Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reading List 2011 Part 2

As promised in an earlier post, every Wednesday in December I'm going to be posting a list of the books that I read in 2011 with a quick summary of what I thought of them. Numbers 11 through 20 are below.
 
Beloved  by Toni Morrison This book gives me chills every time I read it. Morrison's voice is so strong and poetic you can't help but feel every emotion the characters are experiencing.

Pushing Up Daisies by Rosemary Harris This was a fun book to read. I don't usually read mysteries, but this one was light and kept me turning the pages.

Saturday by Ian McEwan This book takes place over the course of one day, so much like real life there are parts of it that are exciting and engaging, and other parts that are very dull. 

Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor I picked this book up on a whim at one of my favorite bookstores, and once I finally got around to reading it, I couldn't put it down. It's an incredibly moving story and I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone.
The Piano Teacher by Janice K. Lee It wasn't until after I finished this book that I noticed one of the blurbs on the cover compares it to Ian McEwan's Atonement. I didn't see the connection at all, it felt to me as if there was only one character who felt any guilt at all and the worse offenders went on to live without guilt, which was problematic for me even without the comparison.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay I've never really been a fan of historical fiction, so for me to read 2 books in a row about WWII is sort of shocking. I liked this book a lot more than I expected to and have added de Rosnay's newest novel to my 'To Be Read' list.

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan This is a great book. I've recommended it to so many people since I read it. You can read my full review here.

BossyPants by Tina Fey I laughed out loud so many times reading this book. Even if you think you don't like celebrity memoirs, this one is worth a look.

Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan This book is breathtaking. Sullivan takes the story of four friends trying to make their way after college and turns it into something much darker.
 
Me & Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter I have finally started to come around to Jane Austen as an author, but I still don't understand the obsession there is with her that makes people write these modern day spinoffs. They just aren't as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment