Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reading List 2011 Part 1

As promised in an earlier post, every Wednesday in December I'm going to be posting a list of the books that I read in 2011 with a quick summary of what I thought of them. Numbers 1 through 10 are below.

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich This is the second time I've read this book and it's still a compelling, exciting read. It's one of my 10 Favorite Books.

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert I found the first half of this book so heartbreaking I wasn't sure I would make it to the end, but I'm glad that it did.
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath This is the second time I read this book too. It's another heartbreaking story but it's well written and worth a second look.

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver This was a fun, quick book to read with a surprise ending.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier I can't get over this book. It's not beautiful, poetic writing but it makes you want to turn the pages and sticks with you long after you've finished. It's also on my favorite books list.

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell A thought provoking book, this asks you to rethink the way you see the world. Check out my full review here.

The Smart Swarm by Peter Miller I was left wanting more with this book. There were a lot of good ideas in it, but I didn't see how they could be applied in a practical sense.

Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream by Barbara Ehrenreich Sadly this book is already pretty outdated.

Incendiary by Chris Cleave I could NOT put this book down. It's one of the best books that I read all year. Check out my full review here.

Bread and Roses -- Mills Migrants and the Struggle for the American Dream by Bruce Watson I wasn't crazy about this book, the authors tried to narrate the facts as if it were a novel but in the end it didn't do the story justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment