Monday, November 28, 2011

Finding Inspiration In the Face of Writer's Block

What inspires you to write?

For me it is almost always scenery. My surroundings are the most constant inspiration I can think of. It doesn't even have to be beautiful or aesthetically appealing scenery. Just something other than my writing desk is all I need.

The quickest way for me to overcome writers block is to take a walk around my neighborhood, where ever that might be at the moment. If I'm at home, I walk around the block a few times until I am ready to sit down and work.If I'm on vacation, or at a relative's house, this is even more effective. 

A change of scenery is the best inspiration for me because of all of the new sights and sounds available. The atmosphere at my brother's house in rural North Carolina is very different than it is here in suburban Massachusetts, so it gives me variance in the things I observe and notice as I walk. 

I'm lucky enough to have grown up near the beach, and have gone to the same beach hundreds of times over my lifetime. Every time I go there, though, I find something new. I see different people, seashells, broken bottles. I love to visit the beach when I need inspiration because it's one place where the constant change is visible. After the tide goes out, the beach won't look the same when the tide comes back. 

There is always something new to see in our surroundings, and being aware of these changes will make your writing fresh and exciting. Pay attention to the scenery around you and write about what you see. Not every detail needs to be in the final draft of your story or novel, but if you don't write it down, it definitely won't make the cut. Write about everything you see and worry about how it fits into the story in the second or third draft. 

The point, in the beginning, is to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment